Vaginal steams are a wonderful way to maintain a healthy yoni (female genital area). Many cultures have some version of this, but it is most commonly seen in South American and Asian traditions. You do not need to go anywhere to have a vaginal steam, because it is easy to do right in your own home. The purpose of the steam is to nourish the uterus, introduce heat, and support the self-cleaning mechanisms already in action. In traditional Chinese Medicine , keeping the lower burning space warm is essential to health, vitality and even fertility. Another easy way to maintain warmth is wear a haramaki or belly warmer. You can also achieve this by wrapping a scarf across your belly or wearing an extra layer of clothing.
Timing: for conception it is usually recommended the last day of your bleeding up to ovulation. However if you have a miscarriage or an assisted conception that didn't work then you can work with your body to help pass the material left in etc uterus with steaming.
Do not steam during regular bleeding or during pregnancy.
Note: Steaming is not recommended for people with an Intrauterine Device (IUD), infection, inflammation, or fever. It is also not recommended during very heavy periods or pregnancy.
1. First, choose your herbs. Some popular herbs include oregano, rosemary, motherwort, calendula, and yarrow. It is lovely to add some aromatics such as rose or lavender to your mixture. You want about 1 ounce of dried plants, or 2 ounces of fresh. Note: Do not use essential oils in liquid form for vaginal steams, as they are too concentrated and volatile for this purpose.
2. Put the herbs in a pot, cover them with about 2 quarts of water, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, and let steep another 5 minutes or so. You can also use a slow-cooker, which works great if you are using a steaming stool.
3. Place the pot under a chair with open slits, or a stool specifically designed for this purpose. Some women use the toilet by placing a pot inside it—a large enough bowl or pot with handles fits perfectly.
4. Remove your underwear, and sit over the steaming herbal water with a large blanket wrapped around your waist. Be sure the steam is not too hot! If it is super-hot, pull the pot away for a few minutes and try again until the steam feels comfortable.
5. Make sure there are no cold drafts in the room. Keep well covered in a thick, cozy blanket, and wear socks to maintain a warm body equilibrium.
6. Steam for about 20 minutes. The steam introduces healing heat and plant oils into the uterus, cervix, and ovaries.
7. Afterward, you should ideally keep warm for at least an hour; resting in bed is a great way to do this. Even better, do this right before you go to sleep, and really seal in the benefits.